Wednesday, February 13, 2013

For life...


I am a believer that there is someone that you are meant to be with as a partner in life - for life. For years, most of them as an immature teenager and young adult, I had a variety of emotions over this concept. After spending a few years dating on and off and not feeling that anyone I had met yet made that connection with me, I tried to focus more on my new career than men. Occasionally trying to date someone only to be disappointed in, mostly, me for wanting something that I wasn't even sure existed.

Having grown up in the country, on a farm and with a deep love and appreciation for agriculture and especially for my cattle, I had become convinced that to find this proverbial "love of my life", I would somehow need to change my expectations for life in the country. Either I would find someone willing to live a rural lifestyle but would either have to live without my bovines or do the work myself. The other, less desirable alternative would be to simply not live in the country in exchange for what I had hoped would be a caring husband with a good work ethic who I could occasionally drag to my parent's farm or to be spectators at a show now and then.

For once in my life, I quit trying to control my love life and as luck would have it, I was blessed with the opportunity to meet and fall in love with my partner in life - for life. The story is long, but sweet and it never gets old retelling but I'll spare the readers the details. For now anyway . . .

I have been married to my soul mate for 7 years. I never had to give up my country lifestyle or my cows. Or be someone I wasn't comfortable being. He has embraced who I am and what we have together with open arms each and every day. He is positive and kind and likable. Works harder than anyone I know. Never has said an unkind word to me or raised his voice or hand. Is always understanding. He is the kind of father to our two beautiful children that leads by example and they have inherited many of his admirable traits. We have shared great success and unbearable sadness. Laughed and cried. Traveled many miles. Chased cows. Chased calves. Chased pigs on horseback once. Chased kids. Chased mice even and we continue to chase our dreams. OUR dreams. Not mine or his but ours. It isn't always perfect but it is usually pretty darn tolerable and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Valentines Day - I Love You - for life.

1 comment: