Friday, January 18, 2013

Denver Day 1

The Hereford bulls showed today on the hill.  What a show!  There were over 150 bulls entered. The show started at 8:00 am and the final selection of Champion Horned Hereford Bull and Champion Polled Hereford Bull occurred about 2:00 pm with NO lunch break and with the exception of one bathroom break, I watched the whole thing! The show did not disappoint as suspected. The bulls looked great! You can agree or disagree with the judge today but regardless, as Hereford people, we have to be proud of the animals we saw in that show today. A couple things stick out for me...the son of one of our cows showed today. He won his class and although he didn't go further, it was still an exciting moment for me. Another moment that also is a stand out for me is watching one of the women in the industry show their bull to a win. The Wards from Wyoming have been in the cattle business for generations and along the way have had great success in their program. Arguably, some of the most influential and widely popular bulls in the breed have come from their program. Today Jan Ward showed a bull named Hometown, to Grand Champion Polled Hereford Bull honors. She is always very calm when she shows, which I can appreciate. Anyone who has shown at any level can attest that those two or three trips around the ring can be a nerve racking journey. You can tell she really cares for those bulls and the time and effort they have clearly invested shows as the bulls are well presented and very comfortable in the spotlight. As the judge made his way to Jan to shake her hand and congratulate her, I felt my heart start to pound with excitement.
And in those moments following her selection, she pats her haltered companion gently as a sign of approval and together, make their way to the edge of the showring to meet her life's companion, husband Ned, and they share a joyous embrace even with a gate between them. And that moment, when there isn't anyone else in the arena but the two of them. That is why is it was the highlight of my day. In my opinion, it is what the show is all about. Win or lose, you are doing it together. And sharing that glorious moment with someone who is your partner in life AND in business is a beautiful thing. Had I been a better photographer, I would have thought to catch the moment with my camera and not with just my own eyes! It made me think about my own relationship with my partner in life and in business and how great it feels to share a win with him. Reminders of my own life's blessings come in many forms and today, it was on the edge of a showring in Denver.
Tomorrow brings the Angus female show and the Hereford carload bulls as my top priorities. Hoping to get through the barns to visit with some folks and track down some fellow Wisconsinites in the Yards. Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment